Nursing Home Quality Care Foundation for Continuous Quality Improvement in Nursing Homes
- Lead with a sense of purpose: The actions of leaders, multiplied by the actions of many, shape a culture and an organization. Strategy 1 sets the expectation for excellence in leadership. The foundation of a learning organization rests upon: exceptional executive leadership; a strong mission and values; and an accepting non-punitive culture.
- Recruit and retain quality staff: A quality-driven nursing home identifies and develops great talent, in whatever discipline they serve, by setting high expectations and fostering an affirming culture. It recruits and hires qualified caring staff that fits its mission, values, and culture, and then cultivates longevity through a supportive work environment. Staff members at every level feel that their primary purpose is to provide quality care to the residents.
- Connect with residents in a celebration of their lives: Distinctive nursing homes create an environment where the “resident always comes first”. The focus is on keeping residents active in their families’ lives and the community, according to resident preferences. At the end of life, a celebration of life honors the resident and embraces family, other residents, and staff.
- Nourish teamwork and communication: Teamwork and communication among staff and between staff and residents is nourished by disseminating information in a complete, consistent and timely manner. Strong communication links people and build relationships between staff and residents. High-functioning teams respect one another and work interdependently towards common goals.
- Be a continuous learning organization: A continuous learning organization: knows where it stands; knows when and how to change; uses data to drive performance; and views the organization as an interdependent system. The interdependent system is described as the combination of the people, structures, supplies, and resources that come together within an organization to make it function.
- Provide exceptional compassionate clinical care that treats the whole person: A focus on the whole person requires staff that knows the residents well and can anticipate their needs. It also requires an engaged and competent medical and care team that effectively manages residents’ changing health conditions and avoids Healthcare-Acquired Conditions (HACs).
- Construct solid business practices that support your purpose: A well-run nursing home excels as a business yet feels like home. It seeks ways to effectively manage the bottom line with integrity and with the resident as the focus. It runs efficient operations; invests in equipment and supplies to provide the highest quality care; and ensures that its physical and outdoor environments are comfortable and inviting.
Click here for additional QI tools, materials, and resource information